Monday, March 10, 2008

Meyer Monday

Introducing "Meyer Mondays". I got this gem of an idea from Jen over at Guidance for Victory who does "Moore Mondays" based on the teachings of Beth Moore. If you've ever had a conversation with me for more than ten minutes you have probably heard me quote something from Joyce Meyer. I think she's an incredibly sensible woman when it comes to her teachings of God's word. He has done so much in her life that it's hard to deny what she says about Him and how having a true relationship with God and following His words can lead you to a better life and a better self.

For the next nine weeks, I'll be posting segments from her book, "Being the Person God Made You to Be". I'll be covering the chapter titled, "Experiencing the Love of God". I hope you enjoy it and possibly take something from it.


****************************************

Have you ever asked yourself, "Am I lovable?" You may have immediately said, "No. I'm not!"

I thought I was unlovable before I came to understand the true nature of God's love and His reason for loving me. I was impatient with people, legalistic and harsh, judgmental, rude, selfish, and unforgiving. A breakthrough came in my life when God began to show me that I could not love others because I had never received His love for me. I acknowledged the Bible teaching that God loved me, but it was not a reality in my heart.

God can love us because He wants to; it pleases Him. Just as it is impossible for God not to love, so it is impossible for us to do anything to keep Him from loving us. Once you realize that you are loved by God, not because of anything you are or anything you have done, then you can quit trying to deserve His love or earn His love and simply receive it and enjoy it.

Once your heart is filled with the knowledge of God's awesome unconditional love, you can begin to love Him in return: We love Him, because He first loved us.

******************************************

In this the love of God was made manifest where we are concerned: in that God sent His Son, the only begotten or unique [Son], into the world so that we might live through Him. ~ John 4:9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you posted this. I sometimes feel so unworthy of His love and sacrifice for me, but He knew what I would be like, and still chose to die on that cross. For me! I love Joyce Meyer too, she's just so real.