Friday, March 28, 2008

Be Honest With Me.

Yesterday, I was over at DailyBlogTips.com and I stumbled ('cause that's what I do, get it?) onto an article titled "43 Web Design Mistakes You Should Avoid". Lots of good stuff in this article, most of which doesn't apply to me and my itty-bitty, little blog. However, #10 struck a bit of a nerve with me:


Do not play music: on the early years of the Internet web developers always tried to successfully integrate music into websites. Guess what, they failed miserably. Do not use music, period.
Aack! W-w-what? No music? Period? No! Say it isn't so! That's a bit of a hard pill for me to swallow and usually I don't have a hard time swallowing pills, not after my MIL suggested to me that I take a deep breath before drinking the water down and that doing so helps to open up your esophagus and, you know, she was right! It even helped with those prenatal horse pills I had to take everyday and, also...

Wait...what was I talking about? Oh, yeah! The music.

Anyhoo, so I thought I would leave it up to you - my faithful and trusted readers. And honest readers - don't forget that! So be honest, do you like my music? Could you live without it? Should I keep it or axe it?

You'll notice I added a poll off to the right. Please vote and then leave a comment explaining why you voted the way you did. I'd really like to have your input.

And, seriously, taking a deep breath before choking a pill down really does help!

5 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

Amanda,

I voted for you to keep the music. I do however turn my speakers OFF before I go blogging. Most everyone has music and I prefer it without. It's hard to read with the background noise and I typically blog when my children are sleeping, I live in a SMALL house, and I don't want to risk waking them. So, that is why I mute it. BUT, you obviously enjoy your music so leave it for YOU! Anyone who doesn't want to listen can turn it off!

Lori said...

I agree, this is your blog, so do what makes you happy! I also usually mute my computer but some might not!

Laurel said...

Okay this is going to be a long comment so prepare yourself. I have been away this week entertaining guests over here, and I must catch up.

First: Your bad mommy day post had me laughing. "Duct tape and Disney videos. I say, Bring it!" That is funny. Maybe because I can totally relate. Hmmmm. I will have to consider that.

As for the music: I must explain. I mute all music when I browse the internet because I have an aversion to all noise after having children. Suddenly I am a silence lover. A thing I never thought I would be. So my "truth telling vote" would have to be to "axe it" although that felt so harsh that I could barely click on the dot beside it.

So...that said. My actual advice is: Do whatever you want!

And I will tell you that even though I am a muter, I do check out people's playlists. I've found some new favorite music that way.

Anonymous said...

I came here via your link on Money Saving Mom's Super Saver Saturday. And since you asked for honestly... I voted to axe the music. Before I could even read your posts, I had to turn the volume way down on my headphones and even then I could hear the music and I wasn't even wearing the headphones.

I'm a regular reader of DailyBlogTips too and have found the articles there and those linked to be very helpful.

If you are interested in increasing your readership and encouraging repeat visitors, the last thing you want to do is force them to fiddle with their volume control when they first arrive at your blog. It's easier just to click on to the next site. In fact, if I had just stumbled upon your blog rather than following a link, that's what I would have done and have done on numerous occasions when I go to a blog that plays music.

Anonymous said...

I'd have to leave that one up to you, and whatever makes you happy. It just depends on what mood I'm in when I'm reading blogs. Sometimes the music makes me happy, and other times I crave quiet so I just turn the volume down. We have that choice as readers. I wouldn't leave just because of the music without checking out the blog first! So, if it makes you happy, it's your blog. Keep it!