Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Want a Great and Inexpensive Valentine's Day Idea?

Well, then here it is and let me tell you - it's a mind blower! I doubt you've heard anything like this before. I'm actually a little tentative to post this because of the potential backlash I may receive (I'm afraid Hallmark may revoke my gold card and 1-800-Flowers will block my number).



But, alas, for you, my devoted and steadfast readers, I will risk it all! Are you ready? Okay.

My Great and Inexpensive Valentine's Day Idea:

Do Nothing.
Yeah, that's right. You read that correctly. Forget the flowers, the cards, the jewelry, the stuffed kissing bears and even the chocolate. And whatever you do, DO NOT spend this February 14th expressing your love for one another. That is unless you express your love the other 364 days out of the year, then go ahead, treat it like any other day.

I don't want my husband giving me a gift (one that will either die, add inches to my thighs or get commondeared by my daughter) just because it's Valentine's Day. What if on Feb 10th, my husband saw something he knew I'd like (and can actually use) but held off from buying because Valentine's Day was just around the corner? Kind of sucks the romance right out of the giving/receiving experience, doesn't it?

My husband and I have celebrated Valentine's Day the same way for several years now. We wake in the morning, greet each other with a hug and a kiss and, if we remember, we'll say "Happy Valentine's Day". But to be honest we start each day this way just without acknowledging a holiday.

And that's just how I want it to be. A card, some flowers, even a box of chocolate don't sum up my husband's love for me. You know what does?

-When he cooks AND cleans up the kitchen.
-When he tells me to get out of the house for awhile and he takes care of the kids.
-When he says NOTHING about the amount of money I spend at the hair salon because it's my one indulgence.
-When I go out for a night up scrapbooking and I come home to an exceptionally clean house.
-When he gets up and goes to work everyday to support his family.
-When he tells me that I'm "just so adorable".
-When he showers our children with love and affection and time and outright silliness.

I could go on and on.

Ya know, Hallmark can keep it's gold card. My husband racks up points everyday here in this house. I can't imagine how bleak and gray the rest of the year would be if my husband waited 'til Valentine's Day to express his love. Nope, Valentine's Day doesn't cost a dime here in this house but what I receive throughout the year is truly priceless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it and agree 100%.
Blessings

Kristi said...

Absolutely, 100% agree!

I do make a nice dinner for my family, but that is about it.

The Via Colony said...

That's awesome. It's should be a lifestyle, not just a one-day occurance

Unknown said...

I love your post. I agree with you. I posted about on my blog how all I want for Valentine's Day is to pay off our student loans. Which means, we will keep working our debt snowball and being frugal!

StingySingleton said...

I love your blog!! Not that I don't enjoy getting gifts - but this Sunday when I was down and my boyfriend put off his work till Monday, and he just held me and cried with me, and he cooked dinner ("just ramen noodles" hit the spot perfectly) and waited on me hand and foot...THAT is love. anything that he does for me on Thursday is just extra.

Anonymous said...

I love your post! I'm going to send it to my husband, because that's exactly how I feel. Thanks for the encouragement!

Peggy said...

Totally with ya on that one! I think it's just a holiday created for marketers to make more $$!!