Friday, December 21, 2007

The Absolute Best Fudge Ev-ah!!

I wanted to share with you one of my Christmas traditions (I think I have a total of 3). This is my fudge recipe. I didn't create this recipe, I just found it before you did so I get to take credit for it! I've been making this fudge every year for the last 10-12 years. I hope you enjoy it!

German Chocolate Fudge

6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1 (4 oz) bar Baker's German chocolate (green box) broken into pieces
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
2 cups sugar
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
1 T butter
dash of salt
1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts of choice

In large bowl, combine chocolate chips, German chocolate pieces and marshmallow creme. Set aside.

In heavy 3 qt saucepan, combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter & salt. Over medium heat, heat to boiling, stiffing often. Once a soft boil is reached, continue stirring constantly for exactly 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate mixture in bowl. Stir vigorously until chocolate is melted and well mixed. Quickly stir in coconut and nuts. Turn into buttered 8 inch square pan, spread evenly. Refrigerate until set.

A couple of things I want to mention:

1. The sugar/butter mixture is EXTREMELY hot, not to mention, sticky. Bad combo! This is not something you want the kiddos helping with. I've been burned with this stuff before and let me tell you - OWIE!!! As a matter of fact, I order all little ones out of the kitchen while I'm making this, just to be safe.

2. Once you pour the sugar/butter mixture over the chocolate mixture, it quickly becomes difficult to stir. It helps to have a big, strong, handsome man on hand to do the mixing for you, like I do.

3. I don't butter my pan. I line it with aluminum foil instead. Once the fudge is set, you can just lift the whole thing right out of the pan with the foil . This makes it so nice to cut into little squares.

4. Do NOT attempt to eat fudge without a tall glass of milk right beside you. You have been warned!

5. ENJOY!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

You and my mom would make a great team. She loves--no, make the LOVES--fudge. Sometimes she would just whip up a batch because she had a craving. I can do about two bites before I have fudge overload. Now chips and salsa? That's a whole other story.

But I'm passing this on to my mom. It looks delish!!!