Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I'm bringing HuggyBack

Hugging has been in the news a bit lately for both good and ridiculous reasons. Apparently, at a middle school in Mascoutah, IL, hugging a friend good-bye is a violation of school policy. Megan Coulter, 13, was given two days detention for doing just that. This, in of itself, is ridiculous but read just what the school policy has to say on the subject:

"Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

Are you kidding me? Poor taste? Poor judgment? Discredit to the school and persons involved? Remember when we all thought the Borg were cold and unfeeling? Wow. Just wow.

I read another article on hugging that states that 1/3 of us aren't getting enough hugs. The blame being put on the "politically correct zealots" (see above). Well, that just won't do. As someone who loves to hug, I'm taking a stand! Won't you join me?

I propose that each of us reach out and hug at least one person today who is not a family member. By all means, continue to hug your family and even increase the number of hugs within your home, but I want you (and me) to go out of our way to hug someone we might not otherwise embrace. I further challenge those of you who are really brave and affectionate to do this at least once each day this week. That will be the challenge I will take on, as well. I will report back on my Hug-a-thon next Thursday and let you know how it went.

Please, do the same. I want to hear about your hugging experiences. Who you hugged, why and their reaction. Need a little motivation to get you going? Check out this video:



"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other". ~ John 13:34, 35

NOW LET'S GET OUT THERE AND HUG!!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I saw that guy on a talk show and thought, "What a crazy, great idea." We're huggin it out his week, eh? Ok, I'm in. Hope we get to meet face to face. Until then, consider yourself {{{hugged}}}!